What Should I Read In the Bible?

Are you in need of a good Bible study?


I've been there. 
There are tons of materials out there for the Christian who wants to devote some time to studying the Word. I have not had the pleasure of using all of them, but what I have used had its pros and cons. Structured Bible studies with guided questions and readings was the way my campus Bible study went. Then I realized that my life wasn't up to a guided study and started reading.
Myself.
Talk about a step of self-confidence! Reading the Bible on your own is no easy thing. There are the cross-references, and the concepts you get but the details you may not. Then there are the religious differences you see globally in churches, that clash with your personal study. 
It's a thing, for sure.
If you want to devote at least thirty minutes a day/night/etc. to reading the Word and learning it, then I have a few tips for you based on what I've learned.



1. Keep an open mind. No Christian is alike, and that goes for Bibles nowadays, too. God's Word never changes, because He is never-changing, but still we have many translations of the Bible so that many people can read it easily in different languages. Keep an open mind that not all translations are alike. It doesn't make someone's faith less than; it just means they had a different education. It's like learning to read by listening when everyone else learns to read by reading.
In Acts, it tells us that we need to be a light to all in the world. I like to think of Bible translations as being part of that.

For so hath the Lord commanded us, saying, I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth.



2. Choose a spot. Are you excited to read about Solomon and the building of the temple? Does the book of Acts really just make sense? Do you connect to Proverbs or Psalms? Are you the person who wants to know every detail of prophecies given by any prophet? 
Easy: choose the Old or New Testament.
How did I choose? I chose both! I read the current book I am on in the Old Testament first (when this post is published it will be 2 Kings), next skipping to the New Testament where I might every so often take notes (when this post is published it will be Hebrews). 
Then I read a Psalm or two (or three, or four. Or five, even). Choose what you feel is right for you. Pray about it, decide what you can mentally and spiritually handle at your point in life.

Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?




3. Find a perfect time and place. Are you a night owl? How about a morning person? Are you a rushed, pray-in-the-shower type of person? Find a time in your day that works best to read the Scriptures. For example, I read at night because I tend to rush in the morning since I oversleep sometimes. I find my brain is more awake at night. If you miss a daily study due to your calendar, don't sweat it. 
I find it is good to just go, "God, I'm going to pray instead of read today," and I go for it. I pray for anyone who pops into my head. 




4. Take notes (or don't). Something interesting I found is that taking notes may or may not work. Notes are perfect for looking back on a subject and writing down things that help you understand the verse, or just things that you question or that come to mind naturally as you read. This is healthy. It's good to ask questions, and that goes for Bible studies as well! How will you gain spiritual knowledge otherwise? 
For some, taking notes is a chore, especially if the book you are studying is a hard-core, hefty, over-thirteen-chapters sort of book. It is also perfectly okay to internalize the Scripture and note down specific things you like, not dislike but maybe are confused on, etc., and not taking notes on the passage as a whole. I read through Mark to Acts and it was really cool to see the authors' points of view, but also read like I would any book and internalize the message that way.
The important thing is to do you. How do you best understand God's Word, and go from there.




5. Find a study buddy. Everything is better with a buddy. Find someone who knows how to study the Bible, or maybe wants to discover it with you. It is always awesome to have an accountability partner who keeps up with your readings. It also promotes good study habits and makes you more confident is discussing Scripture and what is going on in your life. You can also find a local group Bible study with a local ministry or church if you want some "professional" guidance. FYI, God is the supreme Guide, but you know what I mean.




SO...
Try these tips if you are struggling to find a Bible study that is a perfect fit for you. And never hesitate to comment below with your own tips! FYI, you can change your plan to something new, and as long as you are learning God's Word, it doesn't matter which plan you use. As college students, you have so much control over your own schedules, you have the freedom to literally build in Bible time.


God bless and have a fantastic school year!
---KatG




All images downloaded free from pixabay.com

Comments