Free Verse Episode 1: Poetry Volume


Ode to Spring


There is nothing more beautiful than a little green shoot

Poking
up
          up
     up
up
from the dry brown dirt
with sun coming down
like a spotlight
to grow it greener.
Why,
why this little green shoot in the 
dirt that is as brown as the driest parchment,
in the dirt that is the darkest, richest chocolate?
Why this little green thing that may not make it past
the last hard freeze 
before 
sunshine melts winter away and 
dissolves it into a memory as cold as the 
ice cream that dribbles down our chins?
Why this little green piece of...something?

Something green that smells like dirt and something...clean.

Something...unplaceable, but something essential to my being. 


Why not?

Why not this little green piece of grass, of life, of new life, 
a little piece of the future come to greet us bright and 
early?
Why not let it grow in the sunshine, thick rubbery stem new and light, leaves transparent as thin skin?

Why not let it say hello?

It is as lovely as someone from your distant past arriving at the right moment 
to wrap you in the tightest hug you ever had 
in your 
life. 


I like it.


I like this beautiful little green shoot.


I can see it smiling at me.






Spring is one of my favorite times of the year, and I love seeing those little two- or three-leafed plants growing up in the sun, sometimes right in the center of the sidewalk! I hope this gives you a new perspective on why we appreciate Easter and springtime so much.
God Bless!
---KatG


Comments